2295 La. Hwy. 1 |
This National Historic Landmark, situated on the banks of scenic Bayou Lafourche near Thibodaux, was the residence of two of Louisiana’s foremost political figures: Edward Douglas White, who was governor from 1835 to 1839, and his son, Edward Douglass White, who was appointed to the United States Supreme Court in 1894 and served as chief justice from 1910 to 1921.
All admission - Free
Built with hand-hewn cypress around 1825, the E.D. White House is an excellent example of Creole plantation architecture and traditional construction. When Edward Douglas White bought the property in 1829, he occupied the Creole-style raised cottage built for the previous owner, Guillaume Arcement. White, a Tennessee native of Irish Catholic ancestry, married Catherine Sidney Lee Ringgold in 1834. The house’s transformation began around this time, as the Whites remodeled according to the prevalent Greek Revival style, completely changing the appearance of the structure.
There are currently no featured events for this Museum. However, please see our events page for a listing of all events.
The main floor reflects the typical symmetry of Greek Revival architecture, with a central hallway diving four rooms. An inverted stairwell at the end of the hall leads to two bedrooms on the second floor. The high ceilings, the wide front gallery and the raised brick “cellar” functioned to provide relief from Louisiana’s hot summers.
An exhibit in this historic home tells the story of the Bayou Lafourche area, with features on the Chitimacha Indians, Acadian settlers, slavery, sugar cane plantations and the White family.
E.D. White Historic Site currently has education programs on the following subjects:
Take a virtual walking tour powered by Google Street View.