The Old U.S. Mint began producing coins for the United States in 1838. During the Civil War, it briefly issued Confederate coins, making this mint the only one to make both American and Confederate coins. Minting operations ceased in 1909, and for the next several decades the building served a number of federal entities, including the Navy and the Coast Guard. A small exhibition details the history of the building’s coin production.
The U.S. government donated the Mint to the Louisiana State Museum in 1966. Today, the building houses changing exhibitions, the New Orlean Jazz Museum, the Louisiana Historical Center and a state-of-the-art performance venue.